Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I was standing on the bridge over Slab Cabin Run on South Atherton Street yesterday evening after dinner, reading a Georgette Heyer romance, when two young ladies in nice, conservative dress came walking down from the direction of town. They had flyers and copies of the Book of Mormon in their hands, and asked me if I wanted to talk. I sadly informed them that I wasn't religious, and that I didn't really want to talk about it. After some back-and-forth, they accepted, and walked on, most likely towards the remains of that trailer park down the Shinglestown road. I didn't want to be unkind, and I'm sure I would have been unable to avoid informing them just how silly I find their beliefs if I had engaged in discussion with them. Don't get me wrong, I think that of all the creepy post-Christian successor cults, the Mormons are least deranged, but still and all, it's a foolish faith.

Dave says I should have got them talking about the advantages of polygamy. Dave, if you haven't noticed recently, is a pig. What is it about post-Christian successor cults and polygamy, though? Mormons, Muslims, Koresh's wackjobs... seems to be an excessively common feature, doesn't it?

No comments: