Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I've been spending a lot of time watching my old anime DVDs & some borrowed DVDs, including the old Bubblegum Crisis OAVs, so I put in my Bubblegum Crisis 2040 videotapes last night on a whim. Watching the old, "classic" OAVs in rapid succession with the 2040 TV series, I can't imagine why people prefer the OAVs. In writing, animation, plotting, and pacing, the TV series is far, far superior. Admittedly, the plotting, pacing, and writing does a severe drop-off about two-thirds of the way through the series, and it really is a classic "Chiaki Konaka joint", complete with butch female protagonists, yuri-ai undertones, and gloomy, dark overtones of ambiguity & morally dubious motivation; even given all that, I still have a special fondness for the TV series that I just can't muster for the original.

No comments: