Wednesday, October 22, 2003

It occurs to me that I'm a terrible mountain man. I don't actually live in the woods, I've never started a fire without matches, I don't even rake leaves any more - I mean, I could if I wanted to, but I suspect the locals would start classifying me with the semi-homeless guy who spends his days pulling weeds on public and semi-public property around Bellefonte. I suppose I could tell a sumac tree from another... tree, but I found that I couldn't even tell you what kind of trees were cut down in Bellefonte's courthouse square. Elms? Probably not, for the same reason they were probably not chestnuts - neither do too well these days, what with the various tree disease affecting them. They were probably maples, but I can't remember exactly. It's not as if I could tell an elm from a maple from... whatever else we have around here. They're all deciduous trees to me.

Well, at least I have the beard.

No comments: