Monday, January 26, 2004

No Cameras notes the recent burst of revelations about the dispersal of Pakistani nuclear technology to rogue states in the last ten years or so. I'd like to note that all of the public hand-wringing from the anti-proliferation crowd that I can remember from the "New World Order" Nineties was about the materials, technologies, weapons, and scientists of the former Soviet Union. Perhaps it's just my selective memory, but it seems to me that everyone was worried about chaos and anarchy, while all the time, a state actor or that state actor's direct employees, were distributing those very prohibited technologies with a metaphorical fire-hose.

I'm not a libertarian, but it's my increasing feeling that the state actor is always to be feared first, and not last.

No comments: