Saturday, June 04, 2005

They're converting the old Corning-Asahi site into a mixed retail/housing development. The developers claim it's a "clean site", but I can't imagine that they spent however so many years manufacturing electronics and glassware without hosing down the land liberally with some sort of heavy metal contamination. If I had kids, I sure as hell wouldn't raise them on top of an old industrial site.

Of course, your modern farm plant is just as likely to be contaminated with pesticides and hydrocarbon sludge, if not more so. But with the local bias towards preserving farmland with greenbelt tax incentives, it's either woodland or old industrial/retail real estate. I'm kind of surprised they haven't built the Barrens up more heavily than they have, so far. I wonder why?

No comments: