Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Corner, or more specifically, K.J. Lopez of the Corner, has been pushing Gov. Mitt Romney for the Republican presidential nomination in '08. They seem to think that his Mormonism won't be a problem, which is fairly interesting given the Corner's usual High-Church tendencies. I have to say that the prospect of a post-Christian president is rather interesting.

Well, I should back that up. Are Mormons Christians? There's the problem of the extra book of scripture, for one. Generally, when a cult introduces new revelation, that cult has left its parent religion and pretty much established itself as a new religion in and of itself, I would think. What little I know about Mormonism was told to me by a junior high sort-of-girlfriend whose family was Mormon, but at least some of that might be bosh. Something about believing that the saved dead would eventually graduate to godhood? It didn't bear much resemblance to the Methodism I was raised to believe...

Not that I'm saying anything nasty about Mormons, mind you. As far as I can tell, they're easily one of the cuddliest and most likeable of the post-Christian religions. If you're frightened by Mormons - and there are some religiophobes who do seem to have that problem - do your best to avoid, oh, say, Scientologists. Those guys scare me.

No comments: