Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Ran into Fred Ramsey down at Webster's last evening. He says there's a gathering of H. Beam Piper fans scheduled sometime in the next three weeks or so in State College. Piper was a SF writer sort-of-local to the area - he lived up in Williamsport, and set an alternate-history novel in this part of Central Pennsylvania. Fred and I talked about a projected tour of the hypothetical sites of the various events of that novel, Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, including the fortress of Tarr Hostigos, allegedly and debatedly on one of the rises around Bellefonte, Seven Hills Valley over on the Clinton county line, and the various battle sites from here to the lower Susquehanna. Sounds like fun. Hopefully, I can get a more specific set of dates for the shindig. I believe Fred said it was on the fiftieth anniversary of the titular protagonist-State Trooper's disappearance outside of Nittany. I suppose if I dug up my copy and checked, I'd have the date in front of me...

No comments: