Monday, April 12, 2004

I wasted the weekend playing a new game, HPS Solutions' Civil War Battles: Campaign Corinth, a turn-based wargame from the guys who used to work for Talonsoft, generally similar to Talonsoft's old Battleground games. You'd have to work pretty hard to find a class of computer game with less cachet and cool than turn-based Civil War games - probably something involving bass fishing. Oh, well. I'm having that sort of strange fun which involves sitting unmoving at a computer terminal for dozens of hours at a stretch, listening to semi-random cable TV.

I'm reading Victor Davis Hanson's Carnage and Culture, which is proving to be something of a slog. I haven't decided yet whether he's indulging in an extended selection fallacy - AKA "looking for my keys under the streetlamp" - or is actually on to something. On the plus side, he's not exactly sentimental. The first chapter is full of references to "brutal Greek armies".

No comments: